Organisations to help with Benefits

Click the Icon or Title to visit the website

Jobcentre Plus

 New benefit claims only: 0800 055 6688 Mon – Fri, 8am to 6pm

National Jobcentre Enquiry Line: 0345 604 3719 Mon – Fri, 8am to 6pm
(for cancelling or changing an appointment)

Jobcentre Plus
Crossfield House
St. James Road
Jobcentre Plus
Owler Ings Road
Jobcentre Plus
27-31 Adelaide Street
OL14 5HT

Existing benefit claims:

You will need your National Insurance Number and date of birth when you call any of these numbers:

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Jobseeker’s Allowance,
Income Support,
Incapacity Benefit or
Employment and Support Allowance
0345 608 8545
Maternity Allowance0345 608 8610
Bereavement0345 608 8601
Social Fund0345 603 6967
Universal Credit0345 600 0723

Benefit Calculators

Use an independent benefits calculator to find out:

  • what benefits you could get
  • how to claim
  • how your benefits will be affected if you start work

These are free to use, anonymous, and have replaced the Benefits Adviser service.


Use one of the following:

 entitledto – for information on income-related benefits, tax credits, contribution-based benefits, Council Tax Reduction, Carer’s Allowance, Universal Credit and how your benefits will be affected if you start work

 Turn2us – for information on income-related benefits, Universal Credit and tax credits

What you’ll need

You’ll need accurate information about your:

  • savings
  • income, including your partner’s (eg from payslips)
  • existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)
  • outgoings (eg rent, mortgage, childcare payments)
  • council tax bill

Who can’t use them

You can’t use the calculators if you’re under 18, and they won’t give accurate results if you’re:

  • a prisoner
  • a student
  • not a British or Irish citizen
  • on strike
  • living outside the UK
  • living permanently in residential care or a nursing home

Carers UK

Carers UK runs a network of local branches and contacts to support carers and put them in touch with others in their community. They can also help with advice on issues including:

  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Carer’s Credit
  • Carers’ employment rights
  • Tax Credits
  • Benefits

 0808 808 7777
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

The quickest way to apply for Employment and Support Allowance is by phone:

 0800 055 6688
Monday – Friday, 8am to 6pm

You can also fill in and print out the ESA1 form and send or take it to your local Jobcentre Plus office (see above for the addresses)

If you would like help filling out a claim form or help with making a claim over the phone, call in to one of the Calderdale Recovery Hubs and someone will be there to help.

You’ll need the following when you make a claim:

  • National Insurance number
  • medical certificate
  • GP’s address and phone number
  • home and mobile telephone numbers
  • mortgage or landlord details
  • council tax bill
  • employer’s address and telephone number and dates of employment or last day worked
  • bank account details
  • details of any other money you are getting, eg benefits or sick pay

Council Tax Reduction

The quickest way to apply for Council Tax Reduction is to  claim online.

Or you can obtain a claim form by:

 01422 288003

Customer First offices in:
Horton Street, Halifax;
Brighouse Civic Hall,
Hebden Bridge Town Hall
Todmorden Community College;
Cash offices at 39/41 Southgate, Elland and Carlton Mill, Wharf Street, Sowerby Bridge;

Scroll to end of page for more links on the www

Would you like to feature on our website?

Do you provide services that may directly or indirectly help Calderdale residents who are affected by drink or drug use? If you do, please get in touch.

This is a community website. If you spot any inaccurate or missing info please let us know.